Sunday, March 25, 2012

cleaning up backups

I recently took responsibility for a sharepoint 2003 server & corresponding
SQL 2000 server. The backups are working through a maintenance plan, but
I'd like to implement a richer plan and am having difficulties developing
the best approach. understand I've not done much care & feeding of SQL in
my life. (lots of other infrastructure work, through). I have read the
technet articles on sql 2000 backup & restore and the pocket consultant:
database backup & recovery. Perhaps you can refer me to a better book?
I'd like to implement a weekly full db backup,
nightly differentials
nightly transaction log backups.
All of this would be done to a file server
When I tried to do this in the maintenance plan wizard, it didn't offer the
differential option. So then I looked at creating a backup job directly and
there the option no (apparent) to limit the number of backup files kept in
the file system. Am I missing something?
Then on the transaction logs, I see when I configure the job through the
backup tool, it allows me to select "remove inactive entries from
transaction log". This option is not available when I create the back
through a maintenance plan. Do I need to do this and why can't I do it
through both tools.
Thanks in advance.
\\Greg
On Mar 1, 3:59Xam, "Tibor Karaszi"
<tibor_please.no.email_kara...@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote:
> SQL Server Books Online (the documentation that comes with the product)? It is very good.
>
> Hmm, why only nightly log backups? For above, I'd expect something like hourly or every 10 minutes
> or so.
>
> Correct.
>
> Nope, you are correct again. You would have to roll your own. Google is your friend, and you are
> likely to find code "out there" for this. For instancehttp://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/util_backup_script_like_MP.asp, which is 2005 (shouldn't be too
> hard to make 2000) and do not include code to remove oldbackupfiles.
>
> The GUI is confusing and badly designed. Un-checking this option will add the NO_TRUNCATE option to
> yourbackupcommand. This option is badly named and should have been named
> ALLOW_LOG_BACKUP_OF_A_CORRUPT_DATABASE. As you imagine, this option is *not* something you want to
> specify for other than extreme cases. Leaving this checked in the GUI is same as not specifying the
> option, which is same as how Maint Plan does it. Some more reading:http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_restore_no_truncate.asp
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVPhttp://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asphttp://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
>
> "uSlackr" <gmar...@.gmartin.org> wrote in messagenews:%23jJDy2xeIHA.4164@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gb l...
>
>
>
> - Show quoted text -
Greg,
Why read books on how to use the native tools?
Go to our website www.avepoint.com and see if our backup solutions are
sufficient.
Give me a call or drop me an email if you have any questions.
Thanks,
John Hohenadel
312-558-1694
john.hohenadel@.avepoint.com

No comments:

Post a Comment