Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Clear Connections command

Scenario: You have a database that is in use and you want to detach it. You
use enterprise manager to Detach Database. A dialog box appears that lists
the Database status. It says there are 3 Connections using this database.
Next to the number of connections is a Clear button that will drop the active
connections so that you can continue the process of detaching the database.
Does anyone know the command equivalent to pressing the Clear button?
I don't want to use the graphical interface and I assume there must be some
way to issue a command that would do the same thing as pressing the Clear
button in the GUI.
I don't actually want to detach the database - I am just trying to clear all
connections other than my own. Once I finish clearing connections, I want to
issue a command to temporarily put the database into single user mode.
Alter Database FOO set SINGLE_USER with Rollback Immediate
Everything you want in one command. See the ALTER DATABASE command in BOL
for details.
To set it back to 'normal'
Alter Database FOO set MULTI_USER
Geoff N. Hiten
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Senior Database Administrator
Careerbuilder.com
I support the Professional Association for SQL Server
www.sqlpass.org
"cathedr@.wa.state.gov" <cathedrwastategov@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:7EA72915-DF9B-437B-9E08-AE54D210AB9C@.microsoft.com...
> Scenario: You have a database that is in use and you want to detach it.
You
> use enterprise manager to Detach Database. A dialog box appears that
lists
> the Database status. It says there are 3 Connections using this database.
> Next to the number of connections is a Clear button that will drop the
active
> connections so that you can continue the process of detaching the
database.
> Does anyone know the command equivalent to pressing the Clear button?
> I don't want to use the graphical interface and I assume there must be
some
> way to issue a command that would do the same thing as pressing the Clear
> button in the GUI.
> I don't actually want to detach the database - I am just trying to clear
all
> connections other than my own. Once I finish clearing connections, I want
to
> issue a command to temporarily put the database into single user mode.
sqlsql

No comments:

Post a Comment